Saturday, October 4, 2014

KITCHEN TALK

There are so many “recipes” for a happy home out there.  But, a recipe is no good if it is never used or we leave out ingredients.  Besides that, having a happy home or happy heart is so much more than a recipe; it’s a choice.

Several years back, during a much needed quiet time, God spoke to my heart about a choice I was making.  Heartache and disappointment came my way and I had chosen to invite it in to stay.  A choice someone else made was heavy on my heart.  They say home is where the heart is and my heart was broken.

You know, for me, the kitchen, a reflection of the heart, always seems to be a place to go to find happy; food and smiles!  But, during this time it was different.  My life, my home, my “kitchen” became less on the happy daily.  Tears I cried weren’t from cutting onions, or laughing so hard I would cry; tears became more of like the steam from a stewing pot, never-ending.   Sleep became non-existent because I was always in that hot kitchen, by choice, hovering over that steam of debilitation; joy evaporating.

Exhausting all “recipes”, I finally realized there was not one self-ingredient, one perfect stir, or extra dash of advice I could add to that steaming pot that would become the tasteful, happy-making dish of choice I wanted it to be.  I needed the Head Chef; my Savior, my Redeemer, the One with the perfect recipe for me to have a happy home; happiness in my heart.  During my quiet time sitting at the kitchen table it was then I asked God, “How do I move from this place?  How can I be happy again?”  He spoke to my heart so loudly that I turned around to see if He was standing at the stove!  He said, “You can’t live in other people’s choices.  By doing so, you are taking away the joy I am trying to give you each day.”  Immediately, I had the key ingredient; choice!  The recipe was there all the time! Choose God’s word, His promises and words of life; the recipe for happy.

Since that awakening morning, I choose to live in joy daily.  Living happy is a choice in all situations.  It may be relational, financial, emotional, spiritual, or being thrown into an unknown valley that affects all those areas.  A very hard day of my life to choose to live in joy instead of sorrow was when Briley Faith was born, October 11, 2012; it was for all the family. So, you may ask, “How in the world did you awake in joy during a time of sadness with your granddaughter, Briley Faith?  Especially after she was diagnosed with SMA; you knew she would never get to leave the hospital.  You knew her life would be short.  How did you find happy at that extreme of hurt?”  We are not the “Super Hero” family on the block.  We all have heartaches and struggles; some have the key ingredient and some don’t.  Our happiness didn’t rely on Briley Faith being healed this side of heaven.  Our happiness was found in making a choice to receive God’s will.  His will is perfect; the perfect recipe for life.  Although we cried many tears, by accepting His will and then watching Him work throughout all of her 61 days here, the joys we shared far outweighed the sorrows.   Jesus Christ is the key ingredient for you to also have a happy heart.  Receive His gift of eternal life and then get out of the kitchen and let the Head Chef do His thing!  Talk to Him now. 
Romans 3:10  As it is written, there is none righteous, no, not one.
Romans 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:12  Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. 
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 10:9-11 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt
believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 
Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved him shall not be ashamed.
Proverbs 16:20 He who heeds the word wisely will find good,
and whoever trusts in the Lord, HAPPY is he.

The “kitchen”, my heart, is happy because of my talks with Jesus and trusting in what He can do.  Can’t wait to see what He cooks up for tomorrow for I know it will have the sweetest aroma and the taste will be honey to my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment